Thursday, January 17, 2008

a few words

fashion/style terminology that should face extinction:

1. gaucho. the stretchy, cellulite and butt jiggle showcasing fold over crop pant were not even technically gauchos.

2. luxe. it sounds really pretentious but is actually meaningless.

3. trendy. it is not interchangeable with "fashionable" and people stopped using it in a complimentary way in 2004.

4. muffin top. it was a visually gratuitous way of describing hip fat being indented by low rise jeans. but interestingly, when people use "muffin top" to describe this phenomenon, they say it like no one's ever heard it before and maybe they made it up.

5. vintage - this is actually a great word but its meaning has dissolved almost completely. let's move on, even if anthropologie never does.

you are welcome to start using these words in a passive aggressive manner just to bother me or to do that reverse psychology deal of "i don't care about fashion and that explains my bad outfits". . .but i'll know what you are up to. and i will ignore you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Gaucho - I thought this was like a Portuguese cowboy or something.

4. Muffin Top - Why on earth would anyone want to do away with this term? It's so visual. I've appreciated the Australian colloquial English ever since Crocodile Dundee 1. (Apparently that's where the term originated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_top)

5. zing! I'll pass that on to my brother's wife.

PandK said...

Gaucho - i hate these things w/ a passion...ahhhhhhh....they make me angry. you wouldnt like me when im angry