Thursday, December 28, 2006

the roof is on fire. . .

there are two people in my life who, in my opinion, fill in the gaps. by gaps, i don't mean Jesus Christ becoming the propitiation for all to have a way to God the Father. not that serious. for all intents and purposes, if quality of life could be a pocket filled with coins, sometimes i find that my pocket has a hole in it. so maybe filling gaps is the wrong way to describe it. maybe they're hole sewers in the fabric of life. deep.

first, kateigh. whenever i am around her, i remember that makeup is so ridiculously fun and that skincare and fashion are fine sciences. and it's not as if that's all kateigh is to me, of course not (we also like joking about how good flamin' hot cheetos taste and how certain random people on the street look like garbage pail kids). if i'm not around kateigh for a while, i end up overcompensating and spending an offensive amount of money with a makeup artist at barneys that uses words like 'fantastical' and wears too much bronzer. with kateigh, i always come home feeling like i am more feminine and like my life is better because i found the best cheek stain ever made.

and my sister. every time ruth visits, she organizes my underwear drawer. everytime she comes and leaves, she makes me look like i'm a very functional human being. i think she must be naturally feng shui. for instance, she bought me an over the door towel rack. i have always just thrown my towel over the corner of the door. sure the door won't close all the way, but where else am i supposed to put it? she also dusted the slats on the door of the laundry room and organized the tupperware. most impressive this trip, she organized my closet while i watched and said "that's my favorite shirt EVER" 15 times. i now spend about an hour and a half of each morning in there because it's my favorite room. she makes me want to always match my underpinnings and buy room spray and potpourri sachets just because. i don't really do much just because.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, it all makes sense now. I was wondering why you were spending an extraordinary amount of time in your closet. I searched for empty liquor bottles after you left, but couldn't find any. Ruth, I pay well; please help me.

Anonymous said...

#1 who is the north wing duck?
i think it's a philosophy that i kinda stick to... that is: if my underwear drawer is a wreck, i must also be a wreck.
it's about how to take care of yourself even when no one sees. and it extends beyond the underwear drawer. the whole closet. there is something wrong with me on the inside if my house, room, closet, underwear drawer is a wreck. wrong meaning- stressed, depressed, aimless, complacent, etc.
north wing duck- i would have gone as far as labeling those "drawers" in her room. but, alas not enough time. however, it is always more fun to organize when someone else is there helping you sort, decide what to keep and what to let go...

Anonymous said...

I am the cool one, who also follows your sister's tendency to throw clothes on the floor. If a cluttered room reflects personal chaos, I am in turmoil. Only prayer can help me now.